What makes a TV smart?

Essentially a smart TV is a TV with internet connectivity and apps.

Smart TV's have a host of applications like netflix or you tube in order to adapt to the changing way in which we are consuming video. They may even have the ability to perform updates online and add apps.

Long gone are the days when we were slaves to the TV station schedule in order to catch the next episode of Star Trek.

Now we consume what we want, when we want, where we want, and a lot of us still prefer the TV.... once in a while.

You can even plug USB/SD cards into some TV's and watch home videos/make slideshows right on your TV.

But I wouldn't trust that smart TV to much.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2017/02/08/shocking-smart-tv-manufacturer-vizio-spies-on-customers-using-advanced-big-data-analytics/#1d1f34ad3a4f

They could (and probably are) spying on us to get information.   Information is valuable to businesses because information can be sold, brokered, and used to sell more effectively.

However, I really liked the fact that when I went to visit my dad's house I was able to configure his smart tv with my netflix account so I could park my kid in front of his favorite show to avoid a meltdown while I cooked dinner.

I also like not having to go through the x-box or playstation to stream from the internet while using a TV.   So there is an advantage.

I just configure my network to keep an eye on the traffic coming in/out of the TV to see if it is spying on me.  (I don't think it is, but I also don't care.)  I know what it is doing and I will sometimes screw with their data.

Do you have a Smart TV? 
What do you like/dislike about it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtualization: What is it and do I need it?

Smart Home tips.

Is it possible to have to much security?