Do I even need a computer anymore?

Honestly, for a lot of people, you probably don't need a traditional desktop anymore or even a laptop.

Tablets can handle most of the workload of traditional computers and with the rise of cloud services and cloud based apps, you don't even need the power of a traditional computer for things like video editing.  

Truly though, it depends on what you do day to day.   The reality is that smart phones are in fact computers.

They have more power, connectivity and capability than a room full of computers I learned to program on 30 years ago.  Think Commodore 64.

I know people who run $100,000 businesses from their phones.

Do you need a computer?  No.  You really don't.   You can do basically everything from a mobile device now. 

Computers are still easier (in my humble opinion) for certain things but I do use my phone more and more and am considering a much more powerful phone for my next purchase.  Being a system admin I still need the power of a workstation for looking at packet traces and the multitude of things I need to do simultaneously.

What do you think?  Do you still think computers are necessary?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtualization: What is it and do I need it?

Smart Home tips.

Is it possible to have to much security?