Big data, what it means.

TLDR: Big brother is watching everything you do online and using it to sell you stuff.

Okay, so it probably isn't quite as Orwellian as I made it sound above, but it isn't that far off.  

Big data is the process of gathering information about people and applying statistical analysis to determine correlation and causation.

Well, okay it's really just referring to processing such large data sets that traditional computers can't handle it but what people are doing with Big Data is more what this post is about.

When I say large data sets I'm not talking about 100's of gigs or even terabytes of data.  I'm talking about 10's or 100's of terabytes of data.   Literally meaning it takes a combination of super computers and storage arrays to actually process the data.  

So what is this data and where does it come from?

Lets start with the easy examples, our phones.   I use an android phone.  So Google is tracking my location even when the GPS is set to OFF see (WTF Google).
My shopping habits.
My phone and data usage.
What sites I visit.
My browsing history.
What I do when.
When I make purchases.
What I post on social media (Facebook, twitter, google +, Instagram, etc.)
What I like and don't like on social media.
What I watch on youtube.
etc. 

Google takes all these different bits of data, analyzes them and then customizes the ad's I see based on that information.

Yes google uses all of this to sell you stuff?  Are you surprised?  I'm not.  Then again I've known about this for a long time.

But THAT's NOT ALL!   So I have a NEST thermostat.   It is owned by parent company to Google, Alphabet.   They now know what temperature I like to keep my home at during the day and night.

They know what I blog about since I use blogger and this is a Google service.

YES, APPLE DOES THIS TOO and so does Microsoft, Spectrum, Verizon, etc...
They all do this, although Google and Facebook are probably the two best at it.

So what does all this really mean?

The GOOD:
Well, Based on my big data profile google keeps showing me ads for star wars clothes and telescopes.  I keep shouting, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, then stop, breathe, and remember I don't have any room for more stuff and I can't afford a new telescope right now.  :-(

Now there are some other interesting uses for big data in the medical industry and astronomy that help highlight previously unrealized correlations that have led to new discovers and potential cause/effect relationships.

Preventing Fraudulent use of credit cards and identity theft.

Finding out about interesting products or services that will help make your life better, more fun, or just a little more cheerful.

The BAD:
They will keep throwing ads at you to make you buy, and the math and analysis WORK.  It uses statistically proven formulas that make you WANT to buy.  It bombards you with offers of shit you want and will make you think you need them!  Try not to fall for it.

The other downside is that it will target you with things you already like so you are less likely to read articles or look for products you wouldn't normally look at.   This creates a bubble or ivory tower effect narrowing our views on topics and reinforcing preconceived notions by limiting what you ate exposed to.

The UGLY: 
Here is the dark ugly truth about big data.   Big Data played a very large role in the 2016 presidential election.   The Trump Campaign contracted a British Big Data Company Cambridge Analytica actually helped target ads for the campaign and used people's political leanings to target users with Ad's that reinforced their beliefs regardless of factual content.   For example, the Cambridge Team was specifically after non-affiliated voters in swing states and spread articles which created doubt about Hillary while bolstering their view of Trump.     Honestly quite a brilliant tactic and I admire how effective they were in this.  

HOW CAN I PROTECT MYSELF?
You can reduce the amount of data that is tracked by disabling cookies, using private browsing, using alternative browsers to Edge/IE/Chrome.  

You can using plug ins for browsers like Ad block or an hosts file checker to reduce the junk on your feed: http://techtipsbyjohn.blogspot.com/2017/11/two-simple-steps-to-help-prevent.html
While this older post is about viruses and malware, it is also about keeping junk off your computer.

When it comes to not falling for the Ads, first be aware of what is happening so that you don't fall for it.  Then keep in mind your budget (you do have a budget right, no perhaps you should check out my family blog post on budgeting here:  ).  If you have money to spend, but still need to stop yourself ask:  Do I really need this?  Is it worth it?   What would Clark Howard do?  

With the repeal of Net Neutrality this will likely get worse.   What are you thoughts, leave a comment below 


Reference links:
Big Data:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisaarthur/2013/08/15/what-is-big-data/#235135685c85
https://www.sas.com/en_us/insights/big-data/what-is-big-data.html
http://techtipsbyjohn.blogspot.com/2017/11/wtf-google-google-is-always-tracking.html

Alternate Browsers
 https://medium.com/statuscode/11-interesting-web-browsers-that-arent-chrome-a3f976752b21

Big Data in politics:
http://mashable.com/2016/11/10/donald-trump-polling-data/#JjyFtXFiNSqy
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/25/politics/cambridge-analytica-julian-assange-wikileaks-clinton-emails/index.html

Thank you for reading.
Have a question or comment?  Please ask or leave feedback below.  I'm here to help you.
Please follow and share this blog for more posts like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtualization: What is it and do I need it?

How to copy large files faster.

Smart Home tips.